Following the DVSA’s announcement earlier this evening, we’ve had some member enquiries for clarification which we’ve been able to get answers on –
We’ve been asked whether ADIs can continue to work. –
“We are not stopping/prohibiting ADIs from teaching, but we included the following in the FAQ
Q. What advice are you giving to driving instructors (ADIs)?
We have informed instructors of the decision to suspend tests.
Instructors should refer to NHS guidance on COVID-19 and act accordingly.
Q. Should ADIs continue to offer driving lessons?
Driving instructors should follow the latest Government advice on COVID-19.”
ADINJC advises you to make your own risk assessment and if you are continuing to teach we suggest you:
• check with pupils before each lesson to ensure they have not been exposed, or are experiencing symptoms which could be related to Covid 19, or have travelled recently from a region severely impacted
• avoid unnecessary contact with clients who are over 70, pregnant women and those with some underlying health conditions, or have people who are at risk in their family
• Use hand sanitizer in the car
• Let clients know that between lessons you are wiping the steering wheel, indicators, washer stalk and light stalk, gear lever, handbrake, door handles, seat belt buckle and interior mirror
• Keep up basic hand washing for at least 20 seconds in hot water when you have touched surfaces and get pupils to wash hands before coming out to the car
• Bin tissues as soon as you can and cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when you cough or sneeze and not with your hands
• Consider your cancellation policy, it may need to be more relaxed
We’ve also been asked about test bookings for vocational tests – enquiries should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also be interested in the following statistics –
In the last 7 days DVSA has sent out a total of
emails to candidates cancelling tests.
At any given time there are between 800 and 900 people the driving test guidance page, and 100-200 are on the new story about what’s been announced this evening
You can sign up to receive Government updates on Coronavirus relating to driving tests here.
ADINJC’s helpline is 0800 8202 444
The Secretary’s number is 07855 453414
You can find the latest NASP guidelines on Coronavirus here.
The ADINJC is a national association run by ADIs on a not-for-profit basis. We work tirelessly to inform, represent and support our members, and to promote the interests of our profession.